DENTURES IN PITTSBURGH
Dentures are used to replace your original teeth, restore functionality to speech and chewing, and provide support for the cheeks and lips. Pittsburgh dentist Dr. Pounds can help you decide if dentures are a good choice for you, and provide customized fittings here in our downtown Pittsburg dental office.
A full denture replaces an entire arch of teeth. Upper dentures cover the upper palate, while lower dentures are horseshoe shaped to leave room for the tongue. Most dentures are made of acrylic, with the “teeth” crafted from porcelain in order to provide a strong chewing surface and natural appearance. They can be fabricated in two different ways:
- A conventional denture is created when all teeth have been lost or extracted and the mouth is healed and healthy.
- An immediate denture is created at the time teeth are extracted, and is worn during the healing process as the tissues heal under the denture.
Dentures can be manufactured to fit over endodontically treated teeth, and can be attached to dental implants if desired for a more secure fit and ease of removal. Using dental implants to anchor dentures also helps prevent additional bone loss.
The Denture Process
Dentures can take over a month and up to five appointments to create and fit, depending on whether the patient has already lost their teeth or if extractions are necessary. Some patients may only need a partial denture, which fits on one side or the other of the mouth on the top or bottom, or in the front of the mouth in the case of missing incisors.
- The initial diagnosis is made, and the type of denture is selected.
- An impression and a wax bite are made in order to create a well-fitting denture with a proper bite.
- A temporary denture is placed and color, shape, and fit are evaluated.
- The final denture is placed and adjusted for comfort and functionality
- Several more visits may be needed to ensure the fit is optimal and the patient is comfortable.
Dentures are used to replace your original teeth, restore functionality to speech and chewing, and provide support for the cheeks and lips. Contact Dr. Pounds today to schedule a consultation and see if dentures are a good solution for you.Request an Appointment
Denture Wear and Care
Removable dentures should be worn constantly for at least 2 weeks so your mouth can adjust. Remove and clean them before replacing them at night. After two weeks have passed, dentures should be removed for at least 8 hours each day. Clean and store them according to our directions.
You should continue to see Dr. Pounds regularly so that your gums, soft tissues, and bone can be checked and monitored for changes. Ill-fitting dentures can cause sores or extra salivation, and adjustment may be needed from time to time. Call and request an appointment if you have any discomfort.